08 September 2011

New limbs from old fins, part 1

Last month, I started a series on the topic of limb evolution, here at Quintessence of Dust. That series has been transformed (through a series of intermediates) into a series of posts* at the BioLogos site. The first installment is now up, and it provides an expanded introduction to the topic and a little historical context. Subsequent posts will tackle fossils, developmental biology, genetics, the explanatory role of design, and related themes.

So go check out the introduction, and feel free to contribute comments, questions and suggestions here. And enjoy the image below, from Wellcome Images, which is featured in the post at BioLogos. Cool, huh?


*Edit July 2020: The series was consolidated into a single article on the BioLogos site. The link now goes to that single article. 

1 comment:

Preston N. Garrison said...

With apologies to Peter, Paul and Mary and real poets everywhere, I'm posting this to QOD and not Biologos, because, with the editing standards over there I think it would disappear faster than a rodent in the cage of a reptile multiple amputee.


I'm being swallowed by a limbless tetrapod
I'm being swallowed by a limbless tetrapod
I'm being swallowed by a limbless tetrapod
And I'm finding it rather odd.

Oh, narwhale, he swallowed a metatarsal!
Oh, catharsis! he swallowed a tarsus
Now I'm rankled, he swallowed my ankle!
Oh, Sclemiel, he swallowed my heel
Not to tell a fibula, but there goes my tibula
(Well, I still have my ribulas)
Now, I must demur, there goes my femur
Oh, Hellvis, he's gotten my pelvis...

But this is getting gruesome and has extended beyond the subject of the present post.

You expected something from a biochemist to scan?

Do snakes with a very long memory have phantom limb sensations?

If I ever start a science blog, can I reserve the title Quantum Omphalo Dynamics? That was first guess for what QOD stood for.

By the way, this is the highest quality science blog I know of, neglecting of course the present comment.