03 August 2007

Kicking off my blog

Well, it's August 3, 2007, and I'm setting up my blog. It's called Quintessence of Dust, and it will deal with issues of science and Christian faith, focusing on genetics, development, evolution, neuroscience and topics related. I'll regularly address intelligent design and creationism, among other scientific issues that attract the attention of evangelical Christians. My main theme will be scientific explanation.

Most typically, I will base my comments on a very recent article in the scientific literature. I'm shooting for one of these article-based commentaries ("Journal clubs") per week. Minor entries will be interspersed as I feel inspired.

I anticipate errors and correction, and I'll post corrections prominently.

Theology, philosophy and Shakespeare will also figure semi-prominently. I don't really care about politics, so it won't often contaminate the blog unless and until a politician speaks on a topic of interest. (And, of course, they often do.) Boston Red Sox baseball will always trump politics.

So, here's Hamlet getting the first big quote (ripped unceremoniously out of context):

"...there is something in this more than natural, if philosophy could find it out."
--Hamlet, Act II, Scene II

4 comments:

Steve Martin said...

Hi Stephen,

Welcome to the blogsphere. Definitely looking forward to your blog. I'm very interested in the interface between science and christianity (esp. evangelical christianity and evolution) so this is right up my alley. Probably more interested in the history of science & the theological implications of biological evolution for an evangelical expression of the Christian faith, but definitely fascinated by the science as well. Since my background is not the natural sciences (its mathematics & computer science) I'm looking forward your posts - and hoping they are not too overly technical. :-)

Anyways, good luck on your blog.

BTW, I see you have and ASA link on your page. Are you a member? I'm a member of the Canadian affiliate (CSCA).

thanks,

Stephen Matheson said...

Hi Steve! Thanks for providing my first comment; I'll put it somewhere special :-)

I saw your excellent blog and will wander in from time to time.

I'm not an ASA member, but have attended two of the meetings (2004 and of course last year in Grand Rapids). I need to join, though, so thanks for the prompt...

See you around,

Steve

Christopher Heard said...

Thank you, Stephen, for starting this blog! I look forward to reading your posts.

Lab Rat said...

eee! Science and Shakespeare. Perfect combination! Good luck with wading through the faith stuff as well. It is a fascinating area but it usually leaves me completely confused and/or upset. At the moment I'm a Vague Buddhist but things always change.

And if I've got the date right, you must be just over your first year blog anniversary so congrats.


=D