07 January 2010

Signature in the Cell: other reviews

Interestingly, Meyer's book is getting a lot of attention right now. At the Jesus Creed, the excellent RJS is also blogging through the book. At Biologos, a guest piece by Francisco Ayala focuses mostly on theological issues. (I like Ayala a lot. I dislike his post a lot.) The ASA has finally decided to establish some blogs, one of which will host discussions of books. The first book under consideration is Signature in the Cell. (Unfortunately, only ASA members can comment, and that excludes me.) And PZ Myers is reading the book right now. He has already concluded that "there's no poetry in creationism." Well, that's a low blow. Meyer mentions Donne on page 16. What more did PZ expect? A personalized limerick? The Digital Cuttlefish?

4 comments:

Steve said...

What did you dislike about Ayala's post? I remarked in the comments that I enjoyed it as a general critique of ID, but thought it missed the mark of a review by a long shot.

Also...I'm surprised you're not an ASA member. I know Mike Beidler was quite happy that he joined, and he's not even a scientist. :D

Stephen Matheson said...

Steve, re the Ayala post, I don't care for arguments about what God should or shouldn't do. I thought most of what Ayala wrote was nothing more than a discussion of the problem of evil and/or suffering, with Ayala's position being that God surely would not ordain suffering. So his argument seems to be: "there are bad designs, and the designer is reputed to be God, but God wouldn't make bad stuff, so he can't be the designer." Never mind that the argument doesn't save God from the accusation, since merely allowing such things is enough to invite the vexation of the Problem of Evil. I don't like it. What matters to me is not whether ID is good or bad for God's reputation, but whether ID offers us useful explanatory resources.

I'm not an ASA member for a combination of reasons, a major one being financial. I think that will change soon, but no promises.

Cuttlefish said...

Nobody sent me a copy to review.

Bummer, that. I thought I had done a nice job on "How to teach physics to your dog".

Mike Beidler said...

Steve wrote:

I know Mike Beidler was quite happy that he joined, and he's not even a scientist.

Heh. Wonder what that MS after my name is for ... ;-)